4lb Graig Farm’s organic rolled salted silverside ( If you prefer the beef less salty then soak the meat in cold water overnight)
1 onion sliced
1 small turnip sliced
3 carrots sliced
Water, red wine or brown ale
50g soft brown sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg
1 level teaspoon mustard powder
- Rinse meat well.
- Put the onion, turnip and carrot in a large flameproof casserole, place the meat on top.
- Add the bayleaf, then add wine or ale if using and top up to cover with water.
- Bring to the boil, skim, then cover and put in the oven at 140ºC/Gas 1 for 4 hours, but can be left up to 6 hours. Check occasionally to ensure the liquid does not simmer away.
- Leave to cool completely in liquid.
- Set oven to 175ºC/Gas4.
- Drain the meat very well, place in a roasting tin and stick with the cloves.
- Mix together all the remaining ingredients and spread over the meat.
- Bake for 40 minutes, basting from time to time.
- Remove the string and serve hot or cold.
- Tags: Beef
- Graig Farm