Slow and Low Traditional Roast Turkey
Ever had a dry tasteless Turkey? We always cook our Turkey very slowly and at a low temperature, it is always juicy tender and flavoursome.
REASONS FOR SLOW COOKING
Protein gets tough at high temperatures.
At high temperatures all the moisture within the bird will be turned into steam and escape.
- Season the turkey with salt, pepper, mixed herbs and stuffing if required.
- Pre heat oven to 80ºC. Please check that you can set your oven to this low a temperature.
- Place Turkey into roasting tin, season, put in the oven and cook for 16 hours. No foil necessary as temperature is low.
- We normally put our Turkey in the oven at 19.00 hours and cook until 11.00 next morning. That is for a 6-7 kilo bird you can reduce the cooking time for a smaller bird.
- You will find that your Turkey looks a little anaemic so you need to introduce some colour by taking the oven up to 180ºC. When it is golden brown turn the oven down to 70ºC and cook for a further 1 hour.
- Take out of the oven 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Tags: Turkey
- Graig Farm