Home Made Sausage Roll Recipe
Here's our simple home made sausage roll recipe - perfect for street parties or snacks!
- olive oil
- 1 organic onion , peeled and finely sliced
- Leaves from a sprig of fresh sage
- 450g Graig Farm Organics sausagemeat
- 1 handful breadcrumbs
- fresh nutmeg
- 250 g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Heat the olive oil (light not extra virgin) in a saucepan and add the onions. Cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until soft and brown. Add the sage leaves, cook for a couple of minutes more and then spread out on a plate to cool.
- Put the sausagemeat in a mixing bowl with the cooled sage and onion mix and the breadcrumbs. Add a good grating of nutmeg, then mix well together with your hands.
- On a floured work surface, roll the pastry out into a big rectangle as thick as a pound coin and cut it lengthways into two long, even rectangles. Roll the mixture into sausage shapes with your hands and lay along the centre of each rectangle.
- Mix the egg and milk and brush the pastry with the mixture, then fold one side of the pastry over, wrapping the filling inside. Press down with your fingers or the edge of a spoon to seal the join.
- Cut the long rolls into the sizes you want and space them out on a baking tray. You can put a couple of small cuts in the pastry for decoration if you like. Then brush with the rest of the egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until puffed, golden and cooked through.
- Jonathan Rees