Roast Loin of Boar with Juniper
A boned and rolled loin of wild boar will feed about 2 adults per pound, and is delicious eaten hot or cold.
3lbs boned and rolled loin of wild boar
For the marinade:
175ml red wine
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 sliced carrots
1 sliced onion
2 shallots roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 bay leaves
Small bunch parsley
Few sprigs fresh thyme
Few sprigs marjoram
9 whole juniper berries
2 teaspoons salt
For the sauce:
3/4 pt stock
1 oz flour
1 tablespoon lard or olive oil
- Bring all the marinade ingredients to the boil, and simmer for 3 minutes then leave to cool.
- Score the fat on the loin lightly across the top, and place the meat in a deep dish, covering with the marinade.
- Leave for 2 or 3 days, turning the meat twice a day.
- Remove the meat and wipe it dry.
- In a flameproof heavy casserole dish, add the oil or lard and brown the meat well on all sides. Then remove it from the pan.
- Bring the marinade to the boil in a second pan.
- Add the flour to the fat in the casserole dish and work into a roux.
- Strain the hot marinade into the roux, stirring until smooth.
- Add enough warm stock to thin the mixture.
- Return the meat to the casserole, cover and cook at 170ºC/Gas 3 for 2 -3 hours.
- Place meat on a serving dish.
- Skim off the fat and serve sauce in a jug.
- Graig Farm