Is Organic Fish the Ultimate Superfood?
It’s a simple change really, but introducing fish into your diet is one of the best changes you can make. Fish is undoubtedly a super food in every sense of the word. Why? Well Fish is jam packed with all the important Vitamins & Minerals our bodies need to function healthily. One or two servings a week also provides enough of the fatty acids which help protect us from against a range of diseases, including Cancer. Fish is also low in fat and high in protein meaning it is also good for your waistline!
Don’t just take our word for it either, The British Heart Foundation themselves recommend eating oily fish in order to reduce the risk of heart disease and heart health. Doctors have long acknowledged that the unsaturated fats in fish reduce the risks heart disease pose because of their fatty acid content. These unsaturated fatty acids lower cholesterol, but the magical ingredient has to be the Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation throughout your body, inflammation which damages blood vessels and can eventually lead to heart disease. The anti-inflammation properties of some fish also help battle arthritis and psoriasis. Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to reduce the risks of a multitude of cancers by up to a staggering 50%. In fact, there are so many advantages we get from omega-3 and fish; we need to bullet point them!
- Studies have proven that elderly people who eat seafood or fish weekly, are at a much lower risk of developing both dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Research has also shown that eating a diet of fatty fish directly helps diabetic people manage and regulate their blood sugar levels
- Omega-3s, has been shown to maintain eye and brain health
- The amazing effects of Omega-3s have been shown to lower incidences of depression
- Studies have shown that children who eat fatty fish are much less likely to develop asthma throughout their lifetime
Despite these healthy benefits, some researchers are concerned about the consumption of fish produced on fish farms. They believe that pesticides and other chemicals used in when farming fish may have harmful effects on humans. All our fish is guaranteed to be chemical free and 100% organic. We stock high quality Trout, Kippers, Prawns, hoki, tuna,herring and and a range of whole and sliced salmon. Meaning you never have any problems getting your organic fish allowance!
For an excellent start to the day, why not combine Graig Farm’s slice smoked salmon with scrambled eggs and croissants? An excellent combination!
- Graig Farm