Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs
Summer is here and for me that means it is time to get out the barbecue. Nothing beats eating outdoors in the summer, surrounded by friends and family, children playing and nature singing it's beautiful song in the background. These Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs are so easy to make and pop on the barbecue, or if the weather takes a turn, they'll cook brilliantly in the oven.
Recipe: Makes 4 Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs - use one chicken breast per person
4 x Organic Graig Farm Boneless Chicken Breasts
Juice of 1 Lime
2tbsp Olive Oil
1tbsp of your favourite chilli sauce - I used KanKun jalapeño sauce - no artificial nasties
2 Cloves of Garlic minced
1/2 - 1 Chilli - desseded and chopped finely
1/4tsp Sea Salt
1/4tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Resealable Food Bag - I used a large freezer bag
Method: If using bamboo skewers remember to soak them in cold water for 30 minutes
Remember - when handling raw chicken to wash your hands before and after use.
- Chop the chicken breasts into even sized chunks - just over an inch in size
- Place the chunks into the bag.
- Add to the bag the, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chilli sauce, salt, pepper and as much diced chilli as you dare!
- Seal the bag.
- Massage the chicken in the bag so that all the oil, lime juice and other flavourings are dispersed evenly.
- Pop the bag in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain your skewers, if using bamboo. Have a large baking tray to hand - I like to cover mine with foil.
- Push chunks of the chicken onto the skewer. For one breast it's usually 7-8 pieces.
- Continue until all of the chicken is used.
- Line the kebabs up on the baking tray - place in the fridge if not cooking immediately.
- Cook the Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs on a medium-hot barbecue for 5-7 minutes each side. Alternatively they can be cooked on the tray in a preheated 200C/180 fan - gas mark 6 for approx 20 minutes.
- To test if the chicken is cooked, slide off a chunk and break in two, if the meat is opaque throughout the kebabs are cooked, if there is any trace of pink pop them back on the barbecue/oven for a few more minutes.
Enjoy your Chilli Lime Chicken Kebabs with seasonal vegetable kebabs, good company and great British weather!